Bee's Hive

Thursday, March 19, 2009

The World is still Good

If I watch too much news on TV or read to many news stories on line it becomes depressing and opens the old question of, "What is the World Coming too?"

Today I had 2 hours to think about this while I was on my way to the Pittsburgh Medical Center to see a special doctor.

I thought about the many people all over the world who are praying for little Rachel http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/rachelmiller today who is having brain surgery in Washington, DC. Those who have been praying for Kevin, http://lesliekamm.blogspot.com/, a brain injured soldier and those praying for Little H. who is being treated for cancer in Florida.

My thoughts traveled to Tracy http://scraphappyquilts.blogspot.com/ and her Dad Tom, who sent me a ton of fabric to make pillow cases for ConKerr Cancer for kids. I will be putting 2 of those pillow cases in the mail for little Rachel tomorrow.

I thought about Gina http://quiltinginthevalleys.blogspot.com/ in Wales who is making quilts for injured hero's and the many women I know on HGTV who also make quilts for our hero's.

So many people working together all over the world to help people they don't know.

Then there are the random acts of kindness like Tom, http://quiltingandcarving.blogspot.com/ who is giving his 2 little neighbor girls a wonderful time with his "unseen" knomes. The adventures of these littles ones are just to wonderful.

What got me thinking about all this was George, the fellow who drove me to the Medical Center today. Unusally this trip is done by my son but right now he is in the middle of a B52 project that just can't wait. After waiting since December for this appointment it looked like I might have to cancel it.

I decided to try the area on aging to see if they had transportation to the Medical Center since I have counted on them to take me shopping when my son was out of town. They matched me up with George. He isn't paid to do this although they pay him by the mile for the use of his car and gas. He cheerfully showed up in the dark morning hours, spent the day sitting in the hospital waiting room and held a great conversation all the way to Pittsburgh and back.

Looking beyond Fox News, the World is still good because it's made up of the Tracy's, Tom's, Gina's and Georges'. The people sewing for strangers, those who pray, neighbors who take the time to grow healthy imaginations in our children and those who send gifts to cheer up the sick children of the world.

I'm glad I lived long enough to be a part of the cyber world. To know so many good decent people who share the same values as I do. If I only had a list of stories in the News to go by, I would think the world was rotten, but I would be wrong.

5 comments:

Kristin C. said...

I agree!! This post gave me goosebumps. Good job seeing the positive among all the negative that's fed to us.

Rhonda said...

Oh Holee, what a great post. I have met so many wonderful people through CaringBridge and have been moved by their lives. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

elsie123 said...

You're so right, Holee. The world has a lot of amazing, caring people. Sometimes we just need to look around, and they're right in front of us.

Donna said...

Holee, this was such a great post. There is a lot of good left in the world. They say we become what we surround ourselves with so it never hurts to spread a little love around.

Barb said...

As I am reading your post, I am saying to mayself that the lady who is writing this is an amazing woman. Yes, the world as a whole maybe going to pot but it is people like you that keeps the good will going and makes the world a little brighter place to live in.