Bee's Hive

Monday, December 15, 2008

PEANUT CANUCHIES

This is Candy and Cookie making week. Today I made 5 pounds of candy, Peanut Canuchies. They are a butter cream rolled in ground spanish peanuts. This is a very old recipe that is also used for Easter candy with fruit & nuts added to the batter.

For years the batter was hand mixed with a wooden spoon, turned out on a cold platter and folded for at least 100 times. The chocolate was heated in a double boiler with parafin added and many times it burnt.

A few years ago when my hands became crippled with RA, I decided to see if I could make the recipe modern. The only thing I kept was the old paper recipe and the vintage apron.

You will need 2 boxes of 10x sugar, 1/2 pound butter, scant 1/4 cup of milk, 2 caps vanilla plus ground roasted spanish peanuts & coating chocolate. I purchased a small crock pot for melting the chocolate and it never burns!


Cream the butter and add all other ingredients. Mix at high speed for some time until it looks like a fluffy cloud. Powder your hands with 10x sugar and roll them into balls, placing them on wax paper and putting them in the refrig for 5 minutes to firm them up.

With the help of 2 forks, spoon chocolate over them and set them back on the wax paper. When set, use a knife to smear them with more melted chocolate and roll them in the ground spanish peanuts. This will make 5 pounds of candy. Any leftover chocolate, add some sugar and mold them in a plastic mold. With this finished I can start cookies tomorrow!



4 comments:

Tom H said...

oh wee! YUM YUM! All I get to eat now is sugarless stuff. But oh the memories. Those do look good.

Holee said...

Son & I can't eat any of this either. I wouldn't feel like me if I didn't make holiday goodies! It just wouldn't be Christmas without the smell in the house. All this candy & cookies will go to the hospital nurses station where they recently took such good care of me.

Donna said...

Yummy, they sound delicious. I like to make buckeyes, but the problem is I love to eat them too.
Oh, almost forgot thanks for the tip on the place mats. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Sure would have been easier.

JessicaSews said...

Mmmmmm!

You can count on me to be checking in as you post your home-made candies!

~ Jes