Bee's Hive

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Day at the Cancer Center

Yesterday I was scheduled to have the Pet Scan I missed while in the hospital all of January. They didn't make me fast for 3 days...just for 6 hours. It went much better although being in the MRI machine for over 2 hours was a bit nerve racking.

Good thing is the cancer is not in any other organs!  The bad thing is they are afraid radiation will make the Rheumatoid Arthritis cause the cancer to grow instead of shrink. They will instead start Chemo in 2 weeks and see how the tumor reacts. They are considering surgery if the chemo does it's job.

 The delay is because while in the hospital I picked up cellulitis.  For the past 6 weeks my feet and legs have swollen and turned red. I've been calling them my elephant legs. About 10 doctors and numerous nurses have removed my compression stockings, pressed on my feet and legs, put the socks back on and said I had very swollen legs...none did anything.  Yesterday morning I couldn't wear shoes or even slippers. It was very painful to walk on my feet and my knees were so swollen I couldn't get them over the tub edge to shower. It was time to make demands about the condition.

After all the tests had been done at the hospital, I had an appointment to see the oncologist. I removed my stockings and told him we could go no further until he took care of the legs. He looked at them with a purple light and decided I had cellulitis. I am now on an antibiotic but if it doesn't work fast enough he'll put me in the hospital for IV treatment.

Every person and every tumor reacts differently. The doctors have a general idea how it will go but they also expect things to fall apart when the patient has other medical problems. The way they are acting I think the RA has given unexpected problems in the past...we'll see how it goes. They did say the drugs they will be using will cause my hair to fall out....I'm prepared. I bought fun wigs, hats and even henna tattoo's. I just can't see myself wearing a chemo "rag" down to my eyebrows. I'd rather shock them all with a 70 yr. old lady and a fire truck red head of hair and big earrings!  I also bought some skull caps but they need some fancy shiny pins or dangle beading.  

So this is my journey. When I have anything new to tell I'll post or you can ask me to post if I'm missed..smiling at that.  Most people are following my journey on Facebook so sometimes I do forget to post here. Lets all pray for spring! I could use some flowers right now.


Margie said...

Just so you know I read your posts every time you put up a new one, and have for a long time. Used to be on HGTV as goaskmom. Please take care.

Rita said...

You are really going to smile wearing that red wig!

My mother wore a simple turbin part of the time. It was soft and I believe can be found online. She also picked a couple out of a stack that ladies made for the cancer center. There are patterns online too. That cellulitis sounds just awful. I pray the antibiotic works quickly. It is one thing to be at home often. It is another to be to miserable to do anything. Take care......keep in touch there are several of us that don't use Facebook and wait to hear how you are. Will pray for a quick recovery and that spring brings you many flowers. 😊