Bee's Hive

Monday, October 14, 2013

Starting a new project

I should really be ashamed because I've never made myself a quilt. About 10 years ago I bought a quilt on sale on Home Shopping Net Work for $35.00. I loved the battenburg lace in the quilt. Many times I've priced the lace thinking I would make a new quilt but it's really expensive for the amount I would need.

Today I washed the quilt...well it's really showing how old it is. But, surprisingly the battenburg lace looks wonderful. I decided I would try and remove one of the circles of lace. It went really well. So that's my new project. I'll be removing all the blocks of lace and sewing them to Kona white.



Next I have to decide what block and what color I'll use for the other blocks. I think 10 years of pastels is enough so I might make this quilt red and white. For now I'll just be sitting quietly and ripping stitches!

3 comments:

Shawkl said...

It did come out very nicely! I love red and white quilts, but after doing a kingsize for my ungrateful son last year, I don't want to do another any time soon. My birdhouse quilt will be blue and white.

Remember to test the red fabric to make sure it doesn't run...as many do that these days.

Glad to see you posting!

Hugs,

Kathy

Rhonda said...

Hi there. It's been awhile since I've visited. Your project is very interesting and it looks like you're off to a good start.
Take care.

Barbara said...

I love Battenburg lace! Good luck with re-inventing yours. I plan to start following, will be watching, I hope, but the captcha may interfere. I can't see it very well. Wish me luck.