Bee's Hive

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Deep in the heart of Texas!

I don't know how we did it, but one fellow and his worn out Mom arrived in Texas on June 8th! The trip started out with dropping the stove off the side of the moving truck ramp and leaving behind items we were just to tired to load, but all that is in the past now!

I gave up driving 5 years ago, so getting behind the wheel and pulling a trailer seemed impossible, but I did it and have learned I'm not done yet! We started out at 3 PM on June 3rd and hit every storm Ohio had to offer by days end on the 4th. Kentucky and Tennesse offered the same heavy storms and didn't stop until 50 miles outside of Memphis.

Finally sun! wasn't over yet. We entered Texas only to find every city is building Super roads, confusing the Garman who sent us off the interstate when it couldn't find the "no longer exists exit ramp" and over the same under pass 3 times before we gave up in the middle of evening traffic. We found ourself on a Texas road that seemed to go for miles without any life before the Garman finally programmed itself and found the interstate again.

Did I mention the new moving Truck shut down at every gas or food stop and took an hour or two to cool down before it would start up again...from Ohio to San Antonio. We lost almost a full day just waiting for the truck to start up.

We also had to deal with the dog who refused to get out of the pickup truck. He just wanted to go home and hated his first ride in an elevator first night in a hotel. He finally stopped running for the back seat of the pickup when we finally started bringing in items that smelled like home to him.

After arriving at noon on the 8th, having no key to enter the house and having no idea where I put the cell phone number of the property manager, we sat outside the house in 95 degree heat. Every inch of my body hurt but the sunshine and heat felt wonderful!

We parked the moving truck and headed for a Denny's to gather our plan back together. After cooling down and getting some much needed food we did find the phone number. Seeing a sign across from the Denny's for a sale on mattresses we headed across the highway and bought two beds so we would at least have a place to lay down for the night.

At 1:30 PM we finally opened the door to HOME! (more later)


Sherry said...

Glad you made it! Many "foreign" arrivals to Texas say, "I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!"

I do hope you enjoy Texas!

And if you'd called your northeast Texas contact, I might've been able to steer you back to interstate sooner. ;o)

Rita said...

Hi Bea,
It is so good to hear from you and know you have arrived. Even though you would have to be weary you sound very happy. So glad you had mattresses for a good nights rest. I'm excited to hear about this new adventure.
Bless you!

Rhonda said...

Oh Holee, I so happy you made it. Sorry about all that rain. There are plenty of friendly Texan who will gladly steer you in any direction you want to go.
In greeting you to Texas, let me just say, "Howdy ya'll!"

Darlene's Quilts and Stuff said...

Holee I know it was hard but I hope it will be all you have planned for. We have had a lot of rain this month there's no denying.

tisme said...

I am so glad you got in ok! I have been worried and checking out your blog and home page on Facebook.
Joyce and I are now in the hotel in Columbus, raising a little hell!!
I had a really nice day with Becky, Donna and Kathy.
Donna just loved her quilt! She teared up and was so happy to know she received that quilt of love from her friends.